“Montagu Evans are acting for NHSPS on multiple surplus land sales and estate rationalisation projects, helping us to unlock, create and enhance value whilst also protecting our long term position through negotiating appropriate but often complex overage structures. Coupled with a deep understanding of NHS land and estates issues, and supported by leading town planning capabilities, I’d highly recommend the team." Dan Hotson, NHSPS
Montagu Evans presents… Healthcare
Get in touch
- Howard Williams
- Gary Howes
Head of Development and Valuation Consultancy PartnerView profile
The healthcare economy is extraordinarily complex, diverse and fast-growing. The longstanding trend of rising demand for all healthcare services, coupled with an ageing demographic and limited resources creates a challenge not seen in any other market. Whether public, private or Third Sector, issues consistently arise because of an estate that is not fit for purpose, space that can’t easily be adapted, technological disruption, ever-increasing regulation and uncertain governance and decision-making structures.
With the NHS now 70 years young, it’s easy to forget that its roots lie in organisations that can sometimes measure their histories in centuries rather than decades. Substantial transformation continues to be on the horizon and we are helping to support the NHS and all of its component parts to not only address reactive challenges but with longer-term, sustainable, strategic estate planning.
The private sector role in the healthcare economy is becoming increasingly important. Providers, investors and developers can all help meet the demands of the healthcare system. Whether taking on surplus land for new development or bringing forward key worker housing, new partnerships are forming and taking a longer-term approach to sustaining and integrating healthcare in new and repurposed projects; putting sustainable models of delivery in place.
When addressing these challenges, our clients often need help to determine:
- What can we do to maximise the value of our estate in order to enable improved service delivery for our patients?
- How can we ensure that my estate is fit-for-purpose, safe and enables high quality patient care?
- How can we use policies, regulations and commercial frameworks to ensure we get the best commercial arrangement possible?
- What are the opportunities to maximise capital receipts, reduce running costs, improve the existing financial position and create sustainable future income streams to unlock more value for public services?
Whether working across portfolios or individual sites, we approach each project on its merits to identify opportunities that unlock value. We excel at complex and challenging mandates addressing multifaceted stakeholder needs to which we apply an integrated, proactive approach for the best possible results.
From primary care, community and mental health, secondary care, retirement communities or care homes, everything that everyone does has one aim: to make things better for someone in their time of need. The estate might only play one part to helping address this, but we are proud to continue to help contribute to that difference.
- Key fact: Achieved 49% reduction in asset values through change in valuation methodology.
- Key fact: £5 million rates savings achieved for NHS clients over the past 12 months.
- Key fact: £20 billion valuation in public sector property assets in the last two years.
- Key fact: Over 1,000 new homes created from surplus land over 2018/19.
ASSOCIATED SERVICES: Development Consultancy. Planning. Heritage. Rating. Valuation. Land. CPO. MASTERPLANNING. VIABILITY. regeneration. strategic land. affordable housing. Estate Rationalisation. Strategic Land. Viability
You may also want to see...