We are looking for a Technical Services Manager to deliver a facilities management role on a vibrant 560,000 sq. ft. shopping centre located in the heart of the City of Sunderland. The scheme also has 2 prime location car parks providing 940 spaces. Working closely with the Centre Director the role requires overseeing a budget of £1.6 million per annum to enable the strategic management of all hard and soft services and building fabric. Health & Safety, environmental planning and compliance will form a key part of the role. It will also include managing the on-site technical services team and all external service providers to enhance and maintain the landlords assets in line with company policies and statutory compliance.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To develop, implement and support an industry best practice maintenance strategy for mechanical building services, sub-contractors and associated plant and equipment.
- To develop, implement and support an industry best practice security and cleaning strategy for the shopping centre.
- Safely manage the technical engineering, cleaning, and security teams, within a clearly defined commercial context, and through this deliver truly competitive and cost effective services.
- To maintain and collate the daily Health & Safety inspections, including the daily fire alarm testing.
- To carry out all accident investigations subsequent to any incident ensuring all are logged onto the company system.
- Dealing with insurance loss adjusters, supplying statements were appropriate and supporting their requests for evidence to help investigate and mitigate claims.
- Implement and develop safe working practices by being aware of current Health, Safety and Environmental policies and maintenance best practice.
- Ensure the implementation of a framework for safe systems of work including management of contractors and third party suppliers to ensure the highest levels of safety, performance and value are delivered.
- Identify, analyse and manage risks through a risk register and risk assessment techniques.
- Accountable for the various departmental budgets ensuring best value for money.
- Lead the implementation and management of Asset Management processes across the shopping centre in order to ensure all assets have inspection, maintenance and replacement/refurbishment plans in place.
- Prepare the annual PPM schedule for the service charge, advising and prioritising asset replacement and repairs.
- Prepare and present to the Centre Director the annual service charge forecast covering all areas of financial responsibility. Then control budgets to ensure that there is no unauthorised overspend or under spend.
- Develop, maintain and implement initiatives to improve asset performance/centre appearance and a quality service delivery to all by using key performance indicators and bench marking to assess results.
- Lead change initiatives that will improve team and business performance.
- Lead and support the value engineering / continuous improvement ethos to maintain and drive standards.
- Commissioning and monitoring of mechanical building services, associated plant and equipment including creation, management and delivery of maintenance schedules at the shopping centre.
- Successfully negotiate and influence during re-tendering of major hard and soft services contracts as required ensuring a strong commercial awareness.
- Support the letting agents, legal team and regional office with lease drawings and local on-site knowledge.
- Prepare quotes for landlord works and oversee the execution of minor projects to strict deadlines.
- Manage and support the environmental management plan, including the maintaining of the Environmental Compliance Register.
- Work with customers and colleagues on a variety of problem solving processes to improve safety, reliability, productivity and efficiency.
- Provide technical support and advice, organising and chairing all pre-start meetings for tenant’s shop fits, landlord’s works and dilapidation’s.
- To build good relationships with all the retailers and occupiers, offering technical advice and assistance wherever possible in order to deliver the best possible customer service.
- Prepare photographic condition surveys, Land Registry site and demise plans to the legal agents. Organise asbestos surveys and EPC s. Draft basic alterations and modifications and process planning/building and fire approval documentation.
- Develop mutually beneficial and productive relationships with key stakeholders.
- Maintain close day to day relationships with the tenant and customer community, including project teams and business partners, ensuring any issues are identified and resolved at the earliest opportunity.
- Liaise with external agencies such as the local fire & rescue, police, environmental health, HSE, local authorities, building control, planning and insurance representatives, ensuring any recommendations are implemented and all actions take full account of the Company’s interests and reputation. It is paramount to develop and maintain a good working relationship with the above services.
- Work closely with local utility companies and develop good working relationships with electricity, water and gas service providers.
- Identify and organise staff training and development, ensuring all licences are maintained such as IPAF, PASMA, First Aid, defibrillator, SIA, legionella, asbestos, harness training etc.
- To maintain/monitor and adjust the site BMS (Building Managing System) ensuring optimum operating conditions in both the malls and the car parks. Maintaining statutory requirements such as lighting lux levels and minimum comfort temperatures.
- Responsible for compliance with Health and Safety, Security and Environment/Sustainable/ Development Policies, company procedures, ensuring working practices minimise risk to self, work colleagues, customers, staff and the environment.
- To manage and control all on site contractors to ensure that all services are delivered to the expected high standards, on time, within budget, and that all Health and Safety requirements are met.
- To ensure that any systems and procedures introduced by the company are effectively implemented and adhered to.
- To ensure that the centre’s maintenance log books and the Data Station system are kept up to date and the Centre remains compliant in line with Company policy.
- Assist in the reduction of the carbon footprint of the site and ensure that the operation of the site impacts as little as possible on the local environment. Maximise energy efficiency in terms of cost and consumption whilst striving for continuous improvement.
- To develop, maintain and review the site Resilience plan.
- Flexible to the management rota hours working on early and late shifts as required over five out of seven days.
- Flexibility around peak trading times during November to January, willingness to adapt working hours to suit the business.
- To be available out of hours to answer questions or in extreme circumstances attend site to resolve urgent M & E issues.
- To fulfil the duty manager role as required working to the established shift system.
- To agree to undertake any other duties as reasonably requested by the Centre Director.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Experience in a facilities/building managment/retail service environment.
- An engineering/electrical qualification, membership of a relevant institute, or equivalent management experience.
- Good understanding of statutory and regulatory governance in the hard and soft service industries.
- Knowledge of current legislation, regulations and statutory standards relevant to mechanical/electrical services and building fabrics.
- A sound knowledge of health and safety, ideally qualified in IOSH/NEBOSH.
- Diagnostic abilities on a range of mechanical /electrical plant including their control systems.
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office.
- Experience of value engineering and continuous improvement.
- Basic understanding of local area networks (LAN).
- Competent in the use of Building Management Systems.
- Knowledge of lift support systems – fire alarms, sprinklers and smoke extract equipment.
- Apprentice trained HVAC / mechanical / Electrical Crafts person.
- HNC or equivalent qualification.
- Health & Safety Qualification – minimum of IOSH – 5 day certificate.
- Familiar with the maintenance and operation of M & E systems and equipment.
- NEBOSH Certificate.
- Additional Technical qualifications.
- Knowledge of CCTV systems incl. data protection legislation.
- Current CSCS card in project management.
- Current IPAF licence.
- Current PASMA licence.
- Competent in the use of AutoCAD software.
- Experience with large complex sites with a variety of systems, plant and equipment.
- All aspects of mechanical and electrical planned preventative and reactive maintenance systems.
- Working knowledge of relevant legislation and codes of practice.
- Experience in the shopping centre/ retail environment.
- Experience in the public facing sector.
- Risk Management.
- Member of a recognised professional body/institute